Wednesday, August 24, 2005

 

Interview with a Joss fan (or three)

As I mentioned in the previous post, Bernard Zuel of the Sydney Morning Herald is doing a story on Joss Whedon, Firefly and Serenity for the Spectrum magazine (September 3 issue). I've been dying to break this news ever since I found out about it, but was waiting until UIP confirmed it.

And how did I know about it beforehand? Through the extreme kindness of another Browncoat. Mim, who runs the Browncoats Downunder yahoo group (whilst JenskiJen is overseas, livin' la vida Browncoat), and who I helped to organise the Weekend Shindig, has become the "known" fan with UIP. I got a very excited email from her a couple of weeks ago, because UIP had contacted her and asked her if she would mind being interviewed by Bernard Zuel for his piece. She, in her infinite kindness, asked UIP if it was okay if she got someone else along as well, and asked me to come along and hold her hand.

Now, I'm not sayin' I really like talkin', and talkin' about Joss in particular, but oh boy did I jump at the chance!! (Thank you Mim!!)

We organised to meet up at Mim's place, and after some unfortunate experiences with the NSW rail system (what system?), I was picked up by Mim (with Bernard in the back seat?!) and off we went.

I cannot for the life of me remember what the hell we talked about - apart from, you know, Joss. Bernard had done a 50 minute interview with Joss, and was going to do interviews with academics (I think) and, of course, we were the "rabid fan" section of the interview. Which is fine by me!

I had a little spiel all planned about Firefly and family and how Joss and the cast and the fans have all formed an international family and that's what I love most about the Serenity/Browncoats phenomenon. But I promptly forgot to say it in all of the excitement. We talked about why we enjoy Joss' work, how we got into it, why Firefly is so brilliant, what we want out of Serenity (sequels!!)...

As I said, it's all a blur. Bernard told us that we were unlikely to get more than a line or two in the piece, but that's fine, and what we expected, I guess. I think the fact that Serenity is, in some ways, being marketed as being made on the back of a fan phenomenon (and that is, in part, true) warrants there being some input from fans in stories about Joss and the movie. And I'm incredibly honoured to have been one of those fans! Again, thank you Mim!

I really look forward to reading the piece, which comes out the day before my birthday (bonus!)

(Mim - if you read this and remember anything that I've left out, please put in a big ole comment!)

Additional bonuses to the day (what a good day that was!) were meeting Mim's cats, the Broadway screening tickets finally going being on sale online, and the arrival of shiny ComicCon and Wizard World Serenity goodies from JenskiJen (which have led me to running a trivia game on the Serenity Oz site - which is sooooo much fun!)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?